Thursday, October 30, 2008

Dual Coding: like NIKE, your brain "just does it"


As we discussed in class, the crux of Dual Coding Theory is that there are (at least) two different cognitive systems operating when a reading stimulus reaches the senses.

The first system processes the written stimuli, the second system processes the visual stimuli, and lastly, a third system assimilates all the information to infuse meaning.

It is important to note that these two systems are involuntary, meaning that the individual does not ever consciously have control over this process. Simply put, no one ever says, "I am going to start processing the words I see; now time for the pictures; ok, brain, now it is time for you to work your mysterious magic and integrate everything I see into a comprehensive schema of some kind" - the brain just does it!

The NIKE ad posted on this week's blog prompt exemplifies dual coding theory quite well.

For starters, the words definitely jump out at you first, thus supporting the theory's claim that written stimuli are processed first.

[Strictly speaking perceptually, it makes sense that the words would capure the initial focus because they are symetrically centered in the ad and appear in color against a white background.]

After processing the words, my mind (as the theory would predict) immediately began to scan the environment surrounding the words/phrases I had just read. Although the environment was pretty stark as far as visual stimuli was concerned, I was able to pick out a door frame, a color divide on the back wall, and a small box-like structure in the lower-left corner. I also noticed that the "We Believe" phrase appeared to be written on a separate background from the white wall and that there was a sliver of color on the left side of this background.

Luckily, my brain does not stop there!

The final component of Dual Coding Theory came into play when my brain integrated all of the aforementioned stimuli and helped me to consciously reach the conclusion that I was looking at the door of a gymnasium or locker room leading out to a sports arena of some kind. At this point I infer that the words "We Believe" are written on one of those banners that team players run through before the start of a game and that the "Practice like Champions" is a phrase painted into the actual gymnasium wall - something the players would likely see every day.

Beyond this, my brain attaches further meaning to the scene when I take into account that this is an ad for a sport's brand company.

All in all, a fine example of Dual Coding Theory!

No comments: